Study Program : Bachelor’s Degree Study Program of Medicine
Study Duration : 7 Semesters
Bachelor’s Degree Study Program of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya (BSPM-FMUB) offers two programs, three-and-half-year of bachelor’s degree/ undergraduate academic program leading to Sarjana Kedokteran (S.Ked) and a two-year clinical course leading to medical doctor (dr.). In bachelor’s degree academic program, the purpose of education is to initiate the process of clinical performance development and to prepare the students to be ready to participate in and optimally learn from the direct care of patients during the clinical experience. In order to best achieve this goal, learning must occur in a clinical context and clinical skill performance outcomes should be explicit for students throughout the undergraduate period.
Embedded in one of the best state universities in Indonesia, BSPM-FMUB is a part of national education to meet the needs of national medical health workers, in accordance with the purpose of human and health development. BSPM-FMUB establishes 7 areas of competencies based on the elaboration on National Education Standards, Descriptor of National Qualification Framework of Indonesia equivalent to level 7, Education Standard of Indonesian Doctor Profession, Competency Standard of Indonesian Medical Doctor, and other related international standards. The competencies are translated in detail in 10 (ten) Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs), which will be delivered in 63 courses equal to148 Semester Credit Unit (SCU). This curriculum is evaluated by internal quality assurance unit annually and external accreditation agency periodically.
BSPM-FMUB is accredited by external accreditation agencies from national and regional accrediting agencies. In 2019, The Indonesian Accreditation Agency for Higher Education in Health/ Lembaga Akreditasi Mandiri Perguruan Tinggi Kesehatan (IAAHEH/LAM-PTKes) granted the accreditation status A to BSPM-FMUB (certificate number: 0055/LAM-PTKes/Akr/Sar/II/2019, valid until 22 February 2024). IAAHEH itself has been awarded Recognition Status by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) since 2018. In southeast Asia region, SPM-FMUB completed the AUN-QA (ASEAN Quality Network Quality Assurance) program assessment in 2018 (Certificate number: AP273UBJAN18, valid until 10 February 2023). The achievement will be continually improved with the goal of gaining competitiveness at the regional and international levels.
Program Learning outcome
As an institution in one of the leading state universities in Indonesia, Bachelor’s Degree Study Program of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya (BSPM-FMUB) is a part of the nation’s goal to fulfill the need of medical personnel, that is in line with the country’s human resource and health development goal.
The competency is built by BSPM-FMUB on a foundation consisting of supreme professionalism, self-awareness and self-development, and effective communication, and is supported by pillars of information management, the scientific basis of medical science, clinical skills, and management of health problems. These competencies are translated into Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) of BSPM-FMUB.
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) were created by combining the generic learning outcomes which are stated under National Qualification Framework term in National Standard for Higher Education (KKNI) and Competency Standard of Indonesian Medical Doctor (SKDI). These PEOs are designed spirally (integrated & longitudinal) and are aligned with the vision and missions of BSPM-FMUB. The PEOs of BSPM-FMUB are :
- PEO 1. Noble & Divine Professionalism
Students will be able to perform professional medical practice in accordance with the values and principles of divinity, nobility, morals, ethics, law, and socio- culture.
- PEO 2. Self-awareness and self-development
Students will demonstrate awareness of their limitation also constantly develop and upgrade their knowledge and skills for the sake of patient safety.
- PEO 3. Effective communication
Students will demonstrate ability to explore and exchange information verbally and nonverbally with patients, communities, colleagues, and other professions.
- PEO 4. Information management
Students will be able to utilize communication and information technology for medical practice and expanding medical knowledge.
- PEO 5. Scientific base of medical knowledges
Students will demonstrate ability to solve health problems based on the latest scientific medical and health sciences to get optimal results for the patients.
- PEO 6. Clinical skills
Students will demonstrate ability to perform clinical procedures including preventive, diagnostic, and therapeutic procedures related to health problems with patient, self, and others safety as priority.
- PEO 7. Health problem management
Students will be able to manage individual and community health problems in a comprehensive, holistic, and sustainable manner in the context of primary health care.
- PEO 8. Medical emergency and disaster management
Students will demonstrate ability to identify emergency problems as well as take appropriate medical action to hinder emergency consequences including morbidity and mortality.
- PEO 9. Biomedical Research ability
Students will be able to produce creative scientific research/paper in biomedical-biomolecular fields based on decent medical theoretical and technical knowledge.
- PEO 10. Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship
Students will be able to demonstrate collaborative leadership skill as well as to become initiator of innovation in scientific activities, organization, and various aspects of health.
The PEOs of BSPM-FMUB are distributed in Competency-Based Courses. Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) or Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) are then formulated to achieve a more specific description of the outcomes of BSPM-FMUB curriculum.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) are shown below.
- ILO 1: Becoming individual with solid religious belief, high morality, good ethical and professional behaviors, as well as embedding social and cultural knowledge
- ILO 2: Practicing self-awareness and life-long learning
- ILO3: Performing effective communication towards patients and the patient’s family
- ILO 4: Performing effective communication towards colleagues and communities
- ILO 5: Having the ability to access and appraise information and knowledge
- ILO 6: Having the ability to effectively disseminate information and knowledge to the health care professionals, patients, communities and related parties to improve the quality of health care services.
- ILO 7: Having ability to implement the latest biomedical science, humanities, clinical medicine, and public health or preventive/community medicine in order to holistically manage health problems.
- ILO 8: Having the ability to perform diagnostic procedures.
- ILO 9: Having the ability to perform comprehensive health problem management procedures.
- ILO 10: Having the ability to carry out health promotion and prevention levels for individuals, families and communities.
- ILO 11: Having the ability to carry out individuals, families and communities’ health problems management.
- ILO 12: Having ability to describe various essential analytical methods or techniques currently used in biomedical/biomolecular research.
- ILO 13: Having ability to implement knowledge and basic principles of leadership & social entrepreneurship.
- ILO 14: Having ability to implement principles of emergency management in primary health care services and principles of resources management during disaster periods independently or as a team.
- ILO 15: Producing at least one creative scientific work (written or a design) in biomedical/biomolecular field during the study period.